Caramelized potatoes is an Islandic (or Scandinavian) recipe that might be a very interesting idea for a Christmas menu. It gives a different, festive taste to the potatoes that everyone will appreciate very much. I found it some times ago when I was making FiskasÃºpa.
The inspiration comes from greedygourmet.
- 500 grams potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (you may also use honey)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Cook the potatoes, without peeling them.
- After cooking, let them cool down, then peel the potatoes.
- Melt the sugar with the maple syrup in a pan.
- Add the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the potatoes and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes while regularly turning the potatoes.
- Don't let it burn, because then it may become bitter.
BrÃºnaÃ°ar KartÃ¶flur is the Icelandic name for this dish. Other stunning surprising potato recipes are:
- poultry liver with potato pancakes
- Hasselback potatoes
- apple potato salad
- crispy crunchy cubed potatoes