I made and published this bacon pancake with syrup for the first time back in 2007. This was on my at the time brand new blog on iWeb from Apple. This ceased to exist in 2012 or so. Then I migrated to WordPress to gerechtenweb.blog, the Dutch version of surprising.recipes. Meanwhile the article was completely outdated and I decided to remake it, both in Dutch and in English.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
It is very long ago, but I still remember that I had this savory bacon pancake with syrup for the first time in a pub, after we ran a half marathon. It was the perfect gastronomic compensation for the physical exercise I had before. I loved it so much that I remade it at home. It was even the sixth recipe I posted at the time on my Dutch blog.
For some reason I am again in love with savory dishes at the moment. The last recipe I published were savory potato waffles with figs and plum compote. I guess this will also become an evergreen with many variations!
Tasty and surprising, but also easy of course. That is how we like our recipes on surprising.recipes. You can find many more ideas for surprising.pancakes:
- Kaiserschmarrn: this is the Austrian national dish. The best way to describe it is as a very thick pancake that is cut into pieces.
- poffertjes: Dutch mini pancakes that are delicious for breakfast or as a snack.
- flensjes: a family recipe for pancakes with pudding. I don´t have it in English yet, but you can check the Dutch version.
- Blini: these are Russian pancakes with yeast and buckwheat. You can make them as a starter or for lunch.
- traditional whole wheat pancakes: a classic pancake that you may have for lunch.
- pancakes with vanilla cream: a perfect dessert for a Sunday afternoon on a stormy winter day.
- American ricotta-lemon pancakes: typical American pancakes for breakfast.
- mascarpone pancakes: another breakfast pancake with Italian mascarpone cream cheese.
- Indian inspired pumpkin pancakes: Indian style pancakes that suit perfectly for breakfast.
- banana omelette for breakfast: on the borderline between omelette and pancake. The starch in the banana will give it the consistency of a pancake. This also fits perfeclty as a gluten-free alternative.
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.