Traditional whole wheat pancakes are a beloved classic meal in any family. Here I finished them with bananas, date syrup and icing sugar.
traditional whole wheat pancakes
- 200 gram whole wheat flour
- 5 gram baking powder
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- salt a little bit
- butter for baking
- 1 banana
- date syrup
- icing sugar
- Mix the whole wheat flour, the baking powder and the sugar. Add a pinch of salt if you want.
- Add the milk and the eggs and mix everything well.
- Let the dough rest for approximately 30 minutes.
- Heat some butter in a pan. Add a ladle of the dough and wait until the upper side becomes “dry”. Then flip the pancake and bake for a short time on the other side.
- Bake all pancakes like this. Normally this should be 10-12 pancakes.
- Finish with banana, date syrup and icing sugar. And enjoy!!!
The first challenge is to distribute the dough evenly over the pan and have nice round pancakes. To do this, roll the pan while pouring the dough. This way the dough will spread evenly and you will have nice round pancakes.
Normally the pancakes will be ready on the first side in 1 or 2 minutes. This depends of course on the heat of your pan. As a rule of thumb, I wait until the dough at the top gets dry. If you are not sure, check the bottom side of the pancakes.
If you are brave, you can flip the pancakes by throwing them up. Just make sure the pancake is not sticking anywhere to the pan. Then try a few times and hop! And hopefully it lands back on the other side in the pan 😉 For sure, you will impress your friends or family by doing so!
You want a hearty version of this traditional whole wheat pancakes? Then leave out the sugar and top with smoked salmon and goat cheese. But the sweet version is of course most peoples favourite.
Are you looking for other surprising pancake recipes? Then please have a look at the following recipe ideas:
- Healthy Indian inspired pumpkin pancakes
- Mascarpone pancakes with red fruit compÃ´te
- pancakes with vanilla cream
- American ricotta-lemon pancakes with buttermilk
- Dutch mini buckwheat pancakes with banana and blueberries
If you speak Dutch, you may find this and many other recipes on gerechtenweb.blog. This is the Dutch version of surprising.recipes.