Can you use blue cheese and Brussels sprouts together in one recipe? At first sight they have nothing in common. But the combination works perfectly in this roasted dish: blue cheese Brussels sprouts.
I am really a fan of blue cheese. It has a very typical taste which gives a special flavour to any recipe. One of my favourite experiments with blue cheese is still my waffle recipe: Belgian blue cheese bacon waffles.
This time I added blue cheese to a combination that is already delicious in itself: roasted sprouts with walnuts and prosciutto. The crumbled blue cheese over the warm roasted ingredients will melt a bit and glue the ingredients together.
blue cheese Brussels sprouts
- 500 gram Brussels sprouts
- 30 gram prosciutto
- 50 gram walnuts
- 50 gram blue cheese eg gorgonzola
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 180Â°C.
- Spread the prosciutto on a baking paper and bake it for 12 minutes in the oven, until crunchy.
- Meanwhile clean the Brussels sprouts and halve them.
- Put the prosciutto aside, and increase the heat of the oven to 200Â°C.
- Spread the Brussels sprouts on the baking paper. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper and mix everything well.
- Rearrange them with round side up. Put them in the oven for 20 minutes. Check with a toothpick whether they are ready.
- Chop the walnuts and roast them in a pan.
- Cut the prosciutto into small pieces and crumble the blue cheese.
- Mix all the ingredients in a pan and serve directly.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from an American foodblog: Queen of my kitchen. It is catalogued as an American recipe there, but I am a bit chauvinistic and declare it as a typical Belgian dish. The main actor comes quite clearly from Brussels. On my Dutch blog, “gerechtenweb“, people clearly recognise it as a typical autumn dish they like a lot. I also get a lot of advice for possible other variations. For example not cutting the sprouts completely and putting the blue cheese in the sprouts. Or if you don’t like blue cheese, you can also use old cheese.
Brussels sprouts are typical for autumn. Other surprising recipes with Brussels sprouts are:
- bacon wrapped Brussels sprouts
- mini cheeseburgers from Brussels sprouts
- Brussels sprouts against cancer