Is it a tortellini recipe, or a lasagne? It is up to you to decide, but this vegetarian yellow-green tortellini lasagne is really great, surprising and easy. I used tortellini for this delicious oven dish, but ordered them in layers, like you would do with lasagne. The green layers consist of a broccoli-spinach mixture with some green peas. The yellow part of the dish is a bÃ©chamel sauce, seasoned with turmeric.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from delish.com, where I saw something you could describe as a ravioli-lasagne with artichoke. So it became something totally different, but I like to refer to my source of inspiration. Every poet is a thief 🙂
I was a bit lazy with the green vegetables. I didn’t use fresh spinach (there also was none in the supermarket). Instead I used frozen chopped spinach. I also didn’t cook the broccoli beforehand. I chopped it finely and put it directly in the bÃ©chamel sauce. After 30 minutes in the oven they are very tasty. I like to have a bit of a bite.
yellow-green tortellini lasagne
- 50 gram butter
- 50 gram plain flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 pieces red chili peppers (optional)
- 0,5 liter milk
- 40 gram cream cheese Philadelphia
- 25 gram grated Parmezan
- 100 gram mozzarella for the sauce
- 25 gram mozzarella for finishing
- 500 gram broccoli
- 500 gram spinach deep frozen and chopped
- 100 gram green peas
- 400 gram tortellini
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Let the spinach and the green peas thaw when they are frozen.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets.
- Finely chop the chili peppers and crush the garlic cloves.
- Melt the butter in a deep pan, and bake the chili peppers and the garlic for one minute.
- Add the flour, and mix well until everything is golden brown.
- Add the dairy products: milk, cream cheese, parmezan, mozzarella. Mix until it is a thick bechamel sauce.
- Add the turmeric and the lemon juice. Season with pepper and salt up to taste.
- Add the green vegetables (spinach, broccoli, green peas) in the now yellow bechamel sauce.
- Let the ingredients integrate over low heat. The sauce should not cook anymore.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with the yellow-green sauce. Then add a layer of tortellini.
- Repeat this two times and finish with the rest of the sauce. Finish with the remaining parts of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 170Â°C.
This is my favourite lasagne for spring and summer. For the autumn-winter season I have a special autumn lasagne. With this recipe the circle is also almost round: one of the first recipes I ever posted on my Dutch blog was a ratatouille soup with tortellini.