I started this recipe as an eggplant pie. But after making it I think vegetarian eggplant burger with tomatoes is a more accurate description. I wanted to make a pie, but vegetarian people will confirm that this is a tasty alternative for a classic burger.
vegetarian eggplant burger with tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 1 big tomato or 2 medium sized ones
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- basil a handful
- 1 egg
- chester cheese
- cherry tomatoes
- grated cheese
- black olives
- Cut the eggplant into fine pieces, and steam them for 10 minutes.
- Chop the shallot and the garlic.
- Mix the eggplant, pine nuts, basil, shallot and garlic in the kitchen machine.
- Add the egg and some breadcrumbs until you have a consistent dough. Like for patties.
- Slice the tomatoes, and put them as a bottom layer on the tray.
- Spread the eggplant dough over it, and finish with tomato slices on top.
- Finish with grated cheese, chester cheese, halved cherry tomatoes, halved olives and mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180Â°C.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
Regular readers of surprising.recipes will know that I like a special kind of burger every now and then. But I am really not a fan of the breads in which they are mostly served. So I try to look for alternatives. In this case I ended up with a very healthy alternative: tomatoes.
You can make some variations on this recipe if you want. Of course you can add some minced meat. It combines very well with the eggplant. For example I would do this when I make it for my father. He loves vegetarian food with a piece of meat 😉
Another possibility is to add some grounded walnuts. They add some crunchy bite. Be creative and do not hesitate to send me your ideas! Maybe they will feature in one of the next recipes!
If you understand Dutch, you can read the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.