Everybody knows vitello tonnato, the famous starter with veal and tuna fish sauce. For the Easter menu, I created this combination with quail eggs and tuna fish as a starter. And I named it "quail eggs tonnato".
Ingredients (for 8 persons):
- 2 cans of tuna fish
- 1 can of anchovies
- 8 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- small capers
- 16 quail eggs
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- rucola salad
- 2 tablespoons of lemon mayonnaise
- a little bit of lemon juice
- olive oil
- Cook the quail eggs for three minutes.
- Cool them under cold water and peel them.
- Open the cans with tuna and let them drain.
- Blend the sun-dried tomatoes to a paste.
- Mix them with the tuna fish, together with the capers, the mayonnaise and the lemon juice. If it is too dry, add some extra mayonnaise.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and 8 quail eggs.
- Drizzle the rucola salad with some olive oil.
- Arrange on the plates, with some pepper if you want.
Tuna fish is delicious. I love making creative recipes with (mostly canned) tuna fish. Please find some more recipes here:
- Asparagus tonnato.
- Sicilian tuna pasta with fried capers.
- Summer pasta salad with green beans and tuna.
- Greek tuna fish starter.
- Nest with seasoned tuna.
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.