Chicory is one of the family's favorite vegetables. To make it as a snack in a bitter-sweet-salt combination is always a success. I made this chicory leaves with smoked halibut, apple and egg for the first time as a starter with Easter.
- 2 chicory stalks
- 1 apple
- 140 grams of smoked halibut
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of lemon mayonnaise
- Peel the apple and cut in into small pieces.
- Mix the apple pieces with the Greek yogurt and the mayonnaise. This prevents them from changing color.
- Crush the egg with a fork.
- Cut the halibut into small pieces.
- Mix the egg and the halibut with the apple mixture.
- Add pepper up to taste.
- Cut the lower parts off the chicory, and peel the leaves.
- Spread the mixture on the leaves.
You may also try to season with a bit of mustard, or even with caper.
The appetizers are the most fancy part of our family dinners. Here are some more surprising appetizer ideas:
- Boursin bites with smoked salmon.
- Delicious banana canapés.
- Mini fried eggs.
- Dates filled with goat cheese and walnuts.
- Duo of healthy dip sauces.
Or have a look at our overview page 10 easy and surprising appetizers.
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.
[…] Chicory Leaves with Apple, Egg and Smoked Halibut shared by Toon De Backer from Surprising Recipes. […]