Are you looking for a surprising dessert for for Christmas, New Year or any other festive occasion? Then take a look at this filled persimmon. This fruit is much too much an unknown beauty. But it has such a delicious sweetness!!! Everybody will love this dessert and you will have no stress in making it. You can, have, to make it beforehand and it is ready in no time. So you can enjoy the time with family and friends!
- 2 persimmons
- 75 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or up to taste
- 0,5 teaspon nutmeg or up to taste
- Cut the top of the persimmon. Also remove a small slice on the bottom to ensure that it can stand upright.
- Remove the inner part of the fruit.
- Mix the inner parts with the cream, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a blender. You can start with a bit less of the spices and then add some more up to taste.
- Pour the mixture in the persimmon and place the in the refrigerator for at least to hours.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
I admit, I didn’t know persimmon either until a few years ago when my mother used it in a fruit salad. But this was a starting point for me to discover this delicious exotic fruit. Persimmons exist in different varieties, but the best known is the Asian or Japanese persimmon. Sometimes it is also described as the kaki fruit. South East Asia is also where they come from and were they are mostly grown: China, Japan, Korea, In Europe they are also grown in Spain.
How to describe the taste? Well, think of a combination of apricot, honey and apple and you are going in the right direction. It is sweet, fresh and fruity with a bite. It is important that you buy ripe persimmons. If they are not ripe, they will taste bitter and unpleasant. It is like with bananas and many other fruits: by ripening glucose is formed which make them taste so sweet.
Persimmons are typically eaten in the period from September until December. That is why filled Persimmon is the perfect choice for your Christmas dinner dessert.
As I mentioned before, my mother made it once in a fruit salad. Maybe I will post something like that also, later this season. Apart from this filled persimmon I also made a persimmon smoothie. That one is perfect after Christmas to clean your body with a tasty smoothie from all those calories.
Some external links about persimmon:
- What is a persimmon and how do you eat it? (Azure standard)
- What is a persimmon and what does it tast like (all recipes)
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.