Recently I was in Morocco to take a break from the cold winter in Western Europe. This dish is compiled on different inspirations from there and from the internet. It is a Moroccan tagine with chickpeas and steamed vegetables.
- 400g minced lamb or beef.
- 2 eggs
- a small onion
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon Harissa
- a saffron bouillon cube, or 6 strands of saffron
- 1 dl warm water
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 400 grams of couscous
- Cut the onion fine and mix with the eggs, the breadcrumbs and the meat. Knead until everything is smooth and roll meatballs out of it. Put them aside.
- Let the saffron dissolve/weak in the water.
- Cut the carrots, the celery, the onion and the tomatoes fine.
- Drain the chickpeas.
- Cut the zucchine and the bell pepper into large pieces.
- Fry the meatballs in a pan with a lid until they are cooked on all sides.
- Let the red onion bake in a pan.
- Then add carrots, celery, tomatoes and saffron water.
- Season with the Harissa, salt and pepper.
- Let is simmer for app. 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the zucchini and the bell pepper.
- Add the chickpeas and the meatballs to the tomatoe sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes, until everything is warm.
- Prepare the couscous as indicated on the packaging.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply