This is one of my favorite dishes in autumn: belgian endives (chicory) with meatballs.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 8 belgian endives
- 800 gr minced beef
- breadcrumbs of 3 slices of white bread
- 1 egg
- 2 onions
- 6 dl of beef broth
- Mix the minced meat with the breadcrumbs, the egg, pepper, salt and some nutmeg.
- Roll meatballs out of it, cover them and put them in the refrigerator for app. 1 hour.
- Before baking the meatballs roll them into the flower.
- Melt the butter in a pan, and bake the meatballs shortly on each side. Put them aside.
- Remove the base of the chicory, and make a crosswise incision.
- Melt the butter and bake the chicory shortly on all sides.
- Add nutmeg, salt, pepper and the broth.
- When the broth is cooking add the meatballs and let it simmer for app. 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the onions fine and bake them in the pan of the meatballs.
- Add them to the chicory.
- I cooked separately potatoes and added them for the last 5 minutes to the chicory and the meatballs to absorb the flavors.
Leave a Reply