I kolak pisang and ubi jalar last week for the Easter menu. It is Indonesian for sweet potato banana compote. Based on plantains and sweet potatoes in a think coconut sauce it is delicious. The original recipe is made of typical local ingredients, which weren't available for me, so I made some "European" changes.
Ingredients (4 persons):
- 2 ripe plantains (or normal bananas if don't have them available)
- 250 gr sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into cubes
- 200 gr dark brown sugar
- 600 ml water
- 400 ml coconut milk
- a package of vanilla sugar
- some vanilla extract
- Peel the plantains and cut them into pieces of 1 cm.
- Add the brown sugar to the water and boil it.
- After that, add the plantains and the sweet potatoes and cook 'al dente'.
- And finally add the coconut milk, the vanilla sugar and the vanilla extract, and let it simmer until the sauce is well bond.
You can serve it hot or cold.
Leave a Reply