I kolak pisang and ubi jalar last week for the Easter menu. It is Indonesian for sweet potato banana compote. Based on plantains and sweet potatoes in a think coconut sauce it is delicious. The original recipe is made of typical local ingredients, which weren’t available for me, so I made some “European” changes.
Ingredients (4 persons):
- 2 ripe plantains (or normal bananas if don’t have them available)
- 250 gr sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into cubes
- 200 gr dark brown sugar
- 600 ml water
- 400 ml coconut milk
- a package of vanilla sugar
- some vanilla extract
- Peel the plantains and cut them into pieces of 1 cm.
- Add the brown sugar to the water and boil it.
- After that, add the plantains and the sweet potatoes and cook ‘al dente’.
- And finally add the coconut milk, the vanilla sugar and the vanilla extract, and let it simmer until the sauce is well bond.
You can serve it hot or cold.