This easy apple-potato salad is the perfect side dish for a BBQ on a hot summer day. Not surprisingly, the main ingredients are apples and potatoes.
This surprising variant on a traditional potato salad will for sure be appreciated by everyone. The apples add a fresh and juicy bite, perfect for a nice summer evening.
- 400 gram potatoes
- 1 apple
- 2 shallots
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- chives a handful
- dill some leaves
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into small cubes. I make them app. 0,5 cm.
- Steam the cubed potatoes for 8-10 minutes. Cool them down immediately so that the bite doesnÂ´t get lost.
- Meanwhile chop the shallots also very fine. Chop the dill and the chives.
- Mix the potatoes, the shallots, the dill and halve of the chives with the sour cream.
- Now finally peel the apple and cut it into small cubes, similar to the potatoes.
- Mix the apple cubes under the potato salad.
- Season with some vinegar and pepper and salt up to taste.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
I made this apple-potato salad for the first in 2014. The inspiration came from the Belgian television cook Jeroen Meus. Since then, it has been an evergreen during summer months. This year (2020) I decided to restyle the article because I still love the recipe so much.
Cooking or steaming?
I prefer to steam the potato cubes. But of course you can also cook them in a traditional way. By steaming them the taste is better preserved, as you don’t lose it to the water. Certainly for this small cubes steaming reduces the risk of overdoing them and being left with a mash instead of a bite.
Which apple should I use?
For this apple-potato salad I prefer apples with a more sour bite. The recipe is designed for hot summer days. The juicy sour bite gives the best refreshment. For that reason I would chose Granny Smith or Golden Delicious. If you eat it in winter, maybe you can also use other types to give a sweeter taste. On Bestapples.com you can get more detailed information on the different types of apples.
You should certainly not hesitate to experiment with other ingredients for this stunning apple-potato salad. You might decide to mix a few pickles or cucumber slices into the salad. Both will add to the refreshing taste. Another alternative is to add some caper, that will bring in some saltiness.
Are you looking for additional side dishes that fit to your BBQ? Then peel a double portion of potatoes. With the other half you can make this easy potato egg salad almost in parallel. Then you have two delicious side dishes almost at once!
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.